Having the ability to create your own custom streams allows you to customize the way you view activity across the site. While “Top & Trending” and “Most Recent” surfaces site-wide activity and the stream “Following” showcases the activity of all the connections you’ve established, the Custom Stream feature allows you to further “filter out the noise” by picking and choosing people, places and tags to follow in a very targeted fashion. You can set up custom streams for teams, working groups, projects and many more.
To create a new stream:
- Click the News on the main navigation menu bar. Note in your community the news page might be named “Home” but you can access it anytime by adding /news after the .com of your community.
- Across the top below the main navigation to the direct right of Following, click the plus icon.
- Enter a name for your new stream. This stream will only be visible to you so it can be anything you want it to be.
- The community will offer suggestions based on your activity and people you interact with but you can also search for any other person, place or tag (given you have access to the place).
- Click the Add button below the item to add the activity of that object into the stream.
- At the top right side of the interface are two options for updates: mobile and email. Mobile will only be available if you have installed the Jive Software app and your community allows access via the app. Both of these options can be modified in your user preferences.
- Click Done. The stream will immediately begin to populate.
To edit your streams:
- Click on your custom stream.
- Near the top right of the activity in the stream are three icons: pencil (edit the stream), an X (delete the stream) and a pushpin (set this stream as your default view). Click the pencil icon.
- All options that were available upon creating the stream will be available to edit.